This makes a great snack to grab-n-go. I’ve kept them in the freezer and took out a few at a time.
Recipe comes from Weelicious: http://weelicious.com/2012/01/04/spinach-cake-muffins/
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 flax egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour (or other kind)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor and puree.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and combine.
- Pour the spinach puree in a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.
- Scoop batter into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 12 minutes.