- 115 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2cup finely crushed tortilla chips (preferably blue corn)
- 1/3cup salsa plus additional for serving
- 1/2cup 50% reduced-fat grated cheddar
- 1large egg, lightly beaten
- 1scallion, white and green part, finely chopped
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 2teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4butter lettuce leaves (optional)
1. Use a food processor or a potato masher to smash beans until chunky, leaving some partly whole. Stir in crushed chips, salsa, cheddar, egg, scallion and black pepper. Set mixture aside 10 minutes, then shape into 4 patties.
2. Place patties on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight ( I recommend Overnight)
3.Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties to pan and cook until golden brown on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Add remaining oil, flip patties and cook until underside is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve topped with salsa and lettuce, if desired, on buns or I used whole wheat pita pockets.
Olivia loved eating the patties and my husband and I ate them as a burger in the pita pockets.
Posted by Yvone
Nutritional facts per pattie: 342 calories, 18g protein, 48g carbs, 7g fiber, 845 mg sodium.