I am in love with this new cookbook I recently purchased. Wild About Greens by Nava Atlas
I don’t think there is anything in this book I’m not excited to make. I love escarole and I love soup this time of year so when I saw this recipe – had to try it!
I use a slotted spoon to take out the potatoes, carrots, and chickpeas for Olivia. And I finely chop the escarole before adding it to her plate. Sprinkle a little nutritional yeast on top to add a little cheesy flavor.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 medium or 4 small potatoes (russet or golden), peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 32oz box of low-sodium veg broth
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 can chickpeas or cannellini
- 1 medium head of escarole, chopped and rinsed really well (this would also work with any other type of green)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- S & P to taste
- Tamari sauce to taste (I added to recipe b/c I thought it could use a bit more flavor). Braggs Liquid Amino would work too.
- Saute onion in oil or water until soft. Add garlic and saute a bit more
- Add potatoes, carrots, broth, basil, thyme, and two cups water. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer until potatoes are soft (about 20 min)
- Stir in the chickpeas, escarole, tamari if using, and half of the parsley. simmer until escarole is tender (8-10 min)
- Mash some of the potatoes to thicken the soup some. Stir in remaining parsley, salt & pepper to taste.